Thursday, March 23, 2006

Response from Senator Murray


Thank you for contacting me about the possibility of impeaching or censuring
President Bush or other members of his Administration. I appreciate hearing from
you.

As you know, Congress may remove the President, Vice President, and any Civil
Officer of the United States from office through the impeachment process.
According to the Constitution, the House of Representatives may impeach an
official on charges of "Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors"
(Article II, Section 4) to remove the individual from office. Only two sitting
Presidents, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton, have ever been impeached. No
sitting President has been convicted and removed from office. Only one President
– Andrew Jackson – has ever been censured, or rebuked, by the Senate. President
Jackson’s censure was expunged from the Senate record three years later.

I share your concerns and frustrations with the Bush Administration. I too
have significant concerns about the Administration’s policies and the rationale
for many of their actions. I voted against invading Iraq because the Bush
Administration failed to address a viable exit strategy or clearly define the
mission’s objectives. I am deeply concerned with the Administration efforts
prior to the invasion, and their conduct of the war since then. Additionally, I
have grave concerns about the recent admissions that the President authorized
the National Security Agency to spy on U.S. citizens without a warrant. The
American people deserve a full and open investigation into the Administration’s
actions.

Oversight of the Administration is one of Congress’s vital roles. Unfortunately,
the Republican majorities in both the House of Representatives and the Senate
have conducted nearly no oversight, even routine, of this Administration. In the
careful balance of power, I believe that Congress – as the legislative branch –
has an obligation to conduct oversight on any executive, regardless of party.
Congress must ensure that no abuse of power ever occurs, and that the American
people continue to benefit from the transparence of government.

Only through effective oversight can the House and the Senate determine whether
the Administration’s actions have been appropriate, and I am deeply troubled by
how few hearings have been held to examine these questions. I believe that the
Congress must hold the Administration accountable for their actions and
decisions.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If I can be of service in the future,
please be in touch.

Sincerely,


Patty Murray
United States Senator

P.S. I'd like to invite you to receive Patty Murray's Washington View, my weekly
legislative update by e-mail. If you are interested in receiving my update,
please sign up here: http://murray.senate.gov/updates.




















No comments: