Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Iraq Is the Ultimate Aphrodisiac


By Frank Rich
The New York Times

Sunday 22 April 2007

President Bush has skipped the funerals of the troops he sent to Iraq. He took his sweet time to get to Katrina-devastated New Orleans. But last week he raced to Virginia Tech with an alacrity not seen since he hustled from Crawford to Washington to sign a bill interfering in Terri Schiavo's end-of-life medical care. Mr. Bush assumes the role of mourner in chief on a selective basis, and, as usual with the decider, the decisive factor is politics. Let Walter Reed erupt in scandal, and he'll take six weeks to show his face - and on a Friday at that, to hide the story in the Saturday papers. The heinous slaughter in Blacksburg, Va., by contrast, was a rare opportunity for him to ostentatiously feel the pain of families whose suffering cannot be blamed on the administration.

But he couldn't inspire the kind of public acclaim that followed his post-9/11 visit to ground zero or the political comeback that buoyed his predecessor after Oklahoma City. The cancer on the Bush White House, Iraq, is now spreading too fast. The president had barely returned to Washington when the empty hope of the "surge" was hideously mocked by a one-day Baghdad civilian death toll more than five times that of Blacksburg's. McClatchy Newspapers reported that the death rate for American troops over the past six months was at its all-time high for this war.

At home, the president is also hobbled by the Iraq cancer's metastasis - the twin implosions of Alberto Gonzales and Paul Wolfowitz. Technically, both men have been pilloried for sins unrelated to the war. The attorney general has repeatedly been caught changing his story about the extent of his involvement in purging eight federal prosecutors. The Financial Times caught the former deputy secretary of defense turned World Bank president privately dictating the extravagant terms of a State Department sinecure for a crony (aka romantic partner) that showers her with more take-home pay than Condoleezza Rice.

Yet each man's latest infractions, however serious, are mere misdemeanors next to their roles in the Iraq war. What's being lost in the Beltway uproar is the extent to which the lying, cronyism and arrogance showcased by the current scandals are of a piece with the lying, cronyism and arrogance that led to all the military funerals that Mr. Bush dares not attend. Having slept through the fraudulent selling of the war, Washington is still having trouble confronting the big picture of the Bush White House. Its dense web of deceit is the deliberate product of its amoral culture, not a haphazard potpourri of individual blunders.

Mr. Gonzales's politicizing of the Justice Department is a mere bagatelle next to his role as White House counsel in 2002, when he helped shape the administration's legal argument to justify torture. That paved the way for Abu Ghraib, the episode that destroyed America's image and gave terrorists a moral victory. But his efforts to sabotage national security didn't end there. In a front-page exposé lost in the Imus avalanche two Sundays ago, The Washington Post uncovered Mr. Gonzales's reckless role in vetting the nomination of Bernard Kerik as secretary of homeland security in December 2004.

Mr. Kerik, you may recall, withdrew from consideration for that cabinet post after a week of embarrassing headlines. Back then, the White House ducked any culpability for the mess by attributing it to a single legal issue, a supposedly undocumented nanny, and by pinning it on a single, nonadministration scapegoat, Mr. Kerik's longtime patron, Rudy Giuliani. The president's spokesman at the time, Scott McClellan, told reporters that the White House had had "no reason to believe" that Mr. Kerik lied during his vetting process and that it would be inaccurate to say that process had been rushed.

Thanks to John Solomon and Peter Baker of The Post, we now know that Mr. McClellan's spin was no more accurate than his exoneration of Karl Rove and Scooter Libby in the Wilson leak case. The Kerik vetting process was indeed rushed - by Mr. Gonzales - and the administration had every reason to believe that it was turning over homeland security to a liar. Mr. Gonzales was privy from the get-go to a Kerik dossier ablaze with red flags pointing to "questionable financial deals, an ethics violation, allegations of mismanagement and a top deputy prosecuted for corruption," not to mention a "friendship with a businessman who was linked to organized crime." Yet Mr. Gonzales and the president persisted in shoving Mr. Kerik into the top job of an already troubled federal department encompassing 22 agencies, 180,000 employees and the very safety of America in the post-9/11 era.

Mr. Kerik may soon face federal charges, and at a most inopportune time for the Giuliani presidential campaign. But it's as a paradigm of the Bush White House's waging of the Iraq war that the Kerik case is most telling. The crucial point to remember is this: Even had there been no alleged improprieties in the former police chief's New York résumé, there still would have been his public record in Iraq to disqualify him from any administration job.

The year before Mr. Kerik's nomination to the cabinet, he was dispatched by the president to take charge of training the Iraqi police - and completely failed at that mission. As Rajiv Chandrasekaran recounts in his invaluable chronicle of Green Zone shenanigans, "Imperial Life in the Emerald City," Mr. Kerik slept all day and held only two staff meetings, one upon arrival and one for the benefit of a Times reporter doing a profile. Rather than train Iraqi police, Mr. Kerik gave upbeat McCain-esque appraisals of the dandy shopping in Baghdad's markets.

Had Mr. Kerik actually helped stand up an Iraqi police force instead of hastening its descent into a haven for sectarian death squads, there might not now be extended tours for American troops in an open-ended escalation of the war. But in the White House's priorities, rebuilding Iraq came in a poor third to cronyism and domestic politics. Mr. Kerik's P.R. usefulness as a symbol of 9/11 was particularly irresistible to an administration that has exploited the carnage of 9/11 in ways both grandiose (to gin up the Iraq invasion) and tacky (in 2004 campaign ads).

Mr. Kerik was an exploiter of 9/11 in his own right: he had commandeered an apartment assigned to ground zero police and rescue workers to carry out his extramarital tryst with the publisher Judith Regan. The sex angle of Mr. Wolfowitz's scandal is a comparable symptom of the hubris that warped the judgment of those in power after 9/11. Not only did he help secure Shaha Riza her over-the-top raise in 2005, but as The Times reported, he also helped get her a junket to Iraq when he was riding high at the Pentagon in 2003. No one seems to know what she actually accomplished there, but the bill was paid by a Defense Department contractor that has since come under official scrutiny for its noncompetitive contracts and poor performance. So it went with the entire Iraq fiasco.

You don't have to be a cynic to ask if the White House's practice of bestowing better jobs on those who bungled the war might be a form of hush money. Mr. Wolfowitz was promoted to the World Bank despite a Pentagon record that included (in part) his prewar hyping of bogus intelligence about W.M.D. and a nonexistent 9/11-Saddam connection; his assurance to the world that Iraq's oil revenues would pay for reconstruction; and his public humiliation of Gen. Eric Shinseki after the general dared tell Congress (correctly) that several hundred thousand troops would be needed to secure Iraq after the invasion. Once the war began, Mr. Wolfowitz cited national security to bar businesses from noncoalition countries (like Germany) from competing for major contracts in Iraq. That helped ensure the disastrous monopoly of Halliburton and other White House-connected companies, including the one that employed Ms. Riza.

Had Iraqi reconstruction, like the training of Iraqi police, not been betrayed by politics and cronyism, the Iraq story might have a different ending. But maybe not all that different. The cancer on the Bush White House connects and contaminates all its organs. It's no surprise that one United States attorney fired without plausible cause by the Gonzales Justice Department, Carol Lam, was in hot pursuit of defense contractors with administration connections. Or that another crony brought by Mr. Wolfowitz to the World Bank was caught asking the Air Force secretary to secure a job for her brother at a defense contractor while she was overseeing aspects of the Air Force budget at the White House. A government with values this sleazy couldn't possibly win a war.

Like the C.I.A. leak case, each new scandal is filling in a different piece of the elaborate White House scheme to cover up the lies that took us into Iraq and the failures that keep us mired there. As the cover-up unravels and Congress steps up its confrontation over the war's endgame, our desperate president is reverting to his old fear-mongering habit of invoking 9/11 incessantly in every speech. The more we learn, the more it's clear that he's the one with reason to be afraid.

-------

1 comment:

Marcus Aurelius said...

You are welcome to contact me if you like. The media is getting closer to the truth but still has a way to go.
below is what really is going on and there is a lot more. The White House was acutely aware. No White house could be that ignorant and still administer even the most fundamental duties. Could Rudy have been that ignorant about Kerik? By default the answer is definatively NO simply due to the fact of how many bright, competitive people were on the Mayors staff hunting for ways to impress Rudy.

How far would it have to go to drive a bright young girl to make this kind of statement starting on April 12, and still going on.

STATEMENT OF PROTEST : My name is Talia Ray.

I have a sister named Ava Ray. We have a father, Larry Ray, who loves us very much and whom we both love very much as well.

Rudolph Guliani and Bernard Kerik are both criminals. My dad was Bernard Kerik’s best man in 1998. I know they are criminals because my father knows a lot about their illegal activities, he has told me the very things I read today in the news abou V.P. Dick Cheney several years ago and my father has exposed them once already. That’s why Bernard Kerik already has gotten indicted and arrested, and it will happen again.

President Bush, Vice president Cheney and Rudolph Guliani are lying to the American public. In an effort to keep my dad quiet, these criminals have framed him in 2000, have orchestrated over twenty arrests against him, and have separated my sister and me from him and each other. It is a malicious coincidence in our family that my mother is a mentally sick and emotionally disturbed person. I know this because she physically, sexually and emotionally abused me since I was a little girl, before my sister was even born. Our mother has done the same abuse to Ava, my sister. I know this because Ava told me and I have seen it going on myself. Below are some of the facts.

These acts are horrible and unthinkable, sadly they are the truth. Only corruption from the highest office can organize and get away with this.

My mother threatened me for a whole year in 2004 before this started that Bernard Kerik is going to help her destroy my father and me, too, if I didn’t side with her. She did not want me to talk about the sexual abuse I suffered from her and other members of her family.

Rudy Guliani and Bernard Kerik used their influence to direct the courts and promote corrupt results. As much as they try to discredit my father, an honorable man, I see that the truth does prevail. Bernard Kerik was arrested and indicted in June 2006, and in recent weeks the Federal government offered him two years in prison in exchange for his guilty plea for tax fraud, evasion and other crimes. Also recently, it was out in the news that Cheney lied about the link between Saddaam Houssein and Al Queida. The U.S. Attorney Antonio Gonzales and the Bush White House Administration have also been exposed this week for lying to America about having prior knowledge about Bernard Kerik. It is clear that these men lied to America and to everybody, and they want it covered up. These are only some of the things my father has told me for several years which they want covered up.

My father, sister and I have paid a very big price for our father’s commitment to get the truth out to the American people. Our home has been broken into by uniformed police officers without a search warrant. My sister has been sent to spend unsupervised time with my mother numerous times despite of her countless complaints of abuse. Our father has been falsely imprisoned for six months as a result of a premeditated set up carried out by Judge Julie Marino, Judge Dilts and others. My sister has been placed in the custody of my mother for over 16 months now by DYFS in spite of their prior substantiations of my mother as a child abuser. I have been placed in three different shelters where I have suffered both sexual and physical harassment and molestation over the past sixteen months. My academic education has been destroyed. At the request of DYFS, I was baselessly removed from all of my Advanced Placement classes in my junior year last year, and I have been continuously told that cleaning the shelters I have been living in, is more important than school work. The courts and authorities are being used as tools of destruction to inflict pain and suffering on my sister Ava Ray , now 7 yrs old and me, Talia Ray now 17 yrs old.

Lt. General Charles Pittman U.S.M.C. told me to write to Vice President Cheney at the White House and ask him for help in 2005. General Pittman told me to identify him in my letter and tell the Vice President he told me to do so. I did. I would tell my little sister ” don’t worry Ava, help is on the way”. Ava would cry, hug me, and say “I love you Talia, I’m so scared”. One day after I emailed my letter to Vice President Dick Cheney a DYFS worker came to our house telling my dad, my sister and me she is here because Vice President Cheney wants to know what is going on. We all felt relieved, Ava and I both ran to our father hugging him. One week later it became far more horrible. Help never arrived. I feel I gave my sister a false sense of hope that she would be safe, free from the horrors of the abuse my mom Teresa Ray made sure I became intimately familiar with for the rest of my life. I smile whenever I think of my little sister, then it hurts a lot.

December 2, 2005 my dad was again falsely arrested. Ava and I were seperated that night.

Ava, and I have never seen or spoke to each other again. I miss my father a lot.

Lt. General Pittman always tells me my dad is a great man and he cares about all of us. My dad travelled a lot when I was a little girl and I would ask him if he could stay home, why not? He would tell me there are some very bad people in the world and some very good people who care about others. Dad always would tell me about some very good people in Russia he was working with, to stop the bad people. As time passed my dad started to tell something terrible is supposed to happen in America and a lot of innocent people will die if they are not stopped. He wanted me to know the truth. My father always told me since I can remember, “Truth Wins” and everyone is entitled to know the truth. I remember when my dad got indicted in March 2000. He asked me if I was alright. I asked him if he was alright. He hugged me and said yes. From then on, my dad seemed a little more worried, and did not want me in N.Y.C. I of course was getting older and friends would invite me to go to New York with their family for the day. My father explained to me, he loved me, and New York is not as safe as it seems. He told me many times there is a real threat of an attack and when it gets back to normal then I can.

Lt. General Pittman told me to write another letter to Vice President Cheney just before my father was released from jail in May 2006. I was sixteen living in a shelter. DYFS, Judge Julie Marino and Judge Thomas Dilts made it so hard for me to get access to a computer that I could not email my letter pleading for him to do something to save my dad, my sister and me from things so bad no one could believe them until they were seeing it over and over for two yrs in Somerset County, Vice President Cheney until September 2006. This time I felt I needed to tell Vice President Cheney about my dad’s work with N.A.T.O. at the last minute to stop the kosovo crisis and more on behalf of America. Like wake up, this makes no sense that no one would protect our Civil Rights from being violated which would have protected Ava, dad and me from the beginning. This is still the case today.

This time I did not wait for the help that never was and will never come, including today. Why Not ? How could Vice President Cheney and the White House acknowledge they know what “Human Atrocities” are being done to a dedicated Patriot and his two little girls, yet ignore their cries for help, ignore Lt. General Pittman and others ? Only one reason, Vice President Cheney and President Bush are involved in it and it must be in their interest.

My father loves me so much that ever since I can remember he taught me to love myself and the most important relationship anyone will ever have is the one with themself. He always told me every relationship I will ever have can only be as good as the one I have with myself never better, a law of nature. He also taught me about honor and integrity.

Everyone asks me how can I endure this ? I tell everyone it is very hard and how much it hurts. But you would have to have grown up as my father’s daughter to understand and nothing does more for a litlle girl than a great relationship with a father who truly loves his daughters.

My father and I have complained to local, county, state and federal authorities. Everyone continues to fail to do their job as officers of the laws that have been established to protect the people. Instead, they rationalize and cower in the fear of corrupt officials above them or prove their loyalty by doing the unimaginable.

For the above stated reasons, I am starting a hunger strike today April 12, 2007 in protest of the crimes that are being committed against me, my sister and our father. I will continue until Ava and I are united with my father and the corrupt officials are brought to Justice.

Sincerely,
Talia