Sunday, January 29, 2006

Elephants Don't Fly



Friends:

Last week was an anniversary for me. January 10, 1997, the New York Times exposed Newt Gingrich and his gang plotting to ignore an agreement with the House Ethics Committee.

I was the whistleblower. A tape of the Republican conference call was given to me, I provided it to the Times, and they put the transcript on Page One.

It wasn't long after the Times published the story that we proved once again, that elephants don't fly . . . Newt Gingrich resigned from Congress!

Newt's allies struck back with a lawsuit that has cost over a million dollars so far. That's why I'm asking for your help. [http://www.mcdermottforcongress.com/Donate.aspx]

Did Republicans learn anything from the Gingrich fiasco? They did not! Nine years later, they're replacing another discredited House leader.

Today, I'm waiting on another Court of Appeals decision.

Last week, The New York Times correctly editorialized: "leak investigations are designed to distract the public from the real issues by blaming the messenger."

Whistleblowers defend our democracy from what is becoming the most secretive government in our history.

And sadly, whistleblowers sometimes pay a big price. Win or lose, I will owe someone a great deal of money in legal bills, most likely in the next 90 days.

I can shoulder about $700,000 of this burden, but much more is needed . . . I now need your help. The turning point could arrive any day and we must respond decisively.

Unfortunately, the events of 9 years ago stand only as a footnote to the latest round of scandals. The GOP caucus is reeling over the Abramoff revelations. On Groundhog Day they will meet to pick a successor to Tom DeLay . . . one of the voices on that tape.

Once again the wheels are coming off a GOP juggernaut. And yes, my friends, once again, Elephants Don't Fly!

Please consider helping me with an immediate donation [http://www.mcdermottforcongress.com/Donate.aspx] so that I can resolve this matter and devote more time to the peoples' business.

Thank you,

Jim McDermott

P.S. If the case breaks in our favor, rest assured your generous contribution [http://www.mcdermottforcongress.com/donate.aspx] will be used to fund progressive campaigns to take our country back. -- Jim

No comments: